Advances in technology have brought an end to the days of ridiculously fake
looking aquarium plants. The advent of modified aquarium accessories has
been ushered in primarily by increased attention to detail and improvement
in production. These adjustments have made it increasingly more difficult
to distinguish between live and artificial plants. The material is more
flexible and has a silky appearance as it sways with the current, making
them appear organic in almost every aspect. After time they begin
accumulating a natural lining of algae, making it even more difficult to
tell whether it is live or artificial. Artificial plants are readily
available for fresh and saltwater tanks, with plastic or silk construction,
and can be acquired in a range of colors and sizes for foreground, mid-
ground and background placement. Limitations are now only placed by your
extent of your imagination.
Artificial plants are great for a number of reasons; here are 10:
1. No Waiting - Artificial plants arrive essentially ready to use; they
just need to be placed in whatever location you feel is appropriate.
Rinse them before installation; if you soak them in warm water for 15
to 30 minutes prior to placement the fabric will relax, giving it a
more realistic look.
2. Maintenance Free - That's right. Not even low maintenance; no
maintenance! Artificial plants require no special lighting, no special
substrate and no supplements.
3. Flexibility - Because these artificial plants have no requirements,
you can place them any way you want. You can pick any size plant or
any type because they are primarily chosen for appearance; you can
safely place an artificial saltwater plant in a fresh water tank. If
you're not happy with the placement, they can easily be replaced or
4. Easy Cleaning - To clean, simply remove and rinse. You can also soak
them in a plastic plant cleaner; just rinse them before placing back
in the aquarium.
5. Durability - These plants will not die, they require no pruning and
they maintain a desirable appearance even when they are not in season.
6. Resistance and Resilience - Herbivorous or aggressive fish may try
eating or uprooting plants. Artificial plants will withstand attempts
to become dinner, and can easily be put back if a persistent fish
works one loose. They also provide fish with a comforting shelter.
7. Safety - Because artificial plants aren't removed from other bodies of
water, they won't introduce foreign, harmful pests or parasites.
8. Consistency in Chemistry - Since artificial plants do not release
oxygen or carbon dioxide, they don't affect water chemistry or related
conditions. They also do not promote algae growth or take oxygen from
those that live in the aquarium.
9. Clear Water - Artificial plants don't rot or undergo natural
biological changes, so they don't cause any unpleasant changes to the
10. Convenience - Considering all that has been said, they are suitable
for aquarists of any experience level.